How long can I stay in the country with a tourist visa?

Monday, July 27, 2009  

The maximum stay with a tourist visa is 90 days, although the border authorities can limit this period and provide permission for a shorter amount of time upon entrance into the country. 

To stay in the country for more than 90 days, it is necessary to petition for authorization of discretional character, which grants permission for an additional 90 days at a cost of 100 dollars.  This extension of the tourist visa does not grant permission to work.  It is also possible to request a residency visa, which allows the requester to stay in the country for one year.  This petition must be based in the activity or work that the person wishes to perform in Chile.  

Special permission must be granted to work in Chile as a tourist, which has a cost determined by the nationality of the requester.