How can I acquire residency in Chile?

Monday, July 27, 2009  

Chilean legislation offers four types of temporary residency: subject to contract, temporary, student, and refuge or political asylum. 

The temporary residency is a permission that enables a foreigner to work in Chile, although exclusively with the employer who was signing the contract that originated the request. This visa lasts for up to two years and can be extended indefinitely.  Foreigners who have had temporary residency for two years can request permanent residency.  Please note that a visa of residence enables a person to work only once it is stamped inside their passport.  Additionally, the termination of the original contract causes the immediate expiration of the visa.

Residency also has a cost that is dependent upon international reciprocity; that is to say that the cost for requesting permission is similar to those incurred by Chilenas when soliciting a similar type of permanent residency in the home country of the person petitioning the residency in Chile.