Requirements for studying in Chile

How can you apply for a landed immigrant visa if you are a foreigner with a student visa?

Sunday, August 02, 2009  
Visa (Photo:Universidad Católica)

If you are a foreigner that has been in Chile for at least two years, have a student visa and have completed your education and want to settle in Chile, you should visit the provincial government office closest to your residential address, ninety days before your residence permit subject to the contract you had at the time the request was made expires. You will be required to present the following documentation:

- A completed residence application form. This document is generally filled out by the official processing the application. 

- Photocopies of a valid passport (including blank pages), including a stamped visa and any possible trips made during said authorization. Don't forget that you are also required to present the original passport. 

- Photocopy of your registration certificate. Don't forget to present the original document. 

- Police record. 

- Photocopy of both sides of your identity card for foreigners. Don't forget to present the original card. 

- Two recent color photographs (3x2 cm), with your complete name and identity card number. 

- An autobiographical personal letter indicating why you wish to apply for landed immigrant status. It is very important that you mention the possibility of having made any new ties with Chilean citizens, enclosing any documentation required in order to certify the same. 

- A copy of your degree or certificate from the educational establishment where you studied, indicating if your degree is currently being processed.  

- In the case of students who are studying under scholarship, these shall be required to present a certificate from the institution providing said benefit, indicating the duration period, financing and the name of the university.

See the following site in order to determine which provincial government office you  should visit.

If you are in Santiago, go to the Department of Foreign Legalization and Immigration, located at San Antonio Nº 580, floors 2 and 3.