Saint Francisco Church

Construction on Saint Francisco Church began in 1575 following the decree by Spanish conqueror and city founder Pedro de Valdivia, who needed a place to put their Statue of the Socorro Virgin, which accompanies him on all of his journeys.  The church is built from brick and adobe, and has been rebuilt several times due to earthquake damage.  Today, it is controlled by the Franciscan Religious order created by the Italian priest Francisco of Asís.  Inside the church, a colonial museum can be visited.

Photo: courtesy of Juan Carlos Gutiérrez, 2004. Consejo de Monumentos Nacionales.

Other languages:

Cultural Landmarks